Drugstores in Japan (Part 1)
You should never skip a visit to the drugstores in Japan. It’s where you can find a vast collection of Japanese beauty products at a “bargain”–your cosmetics, facial care, body care, etc. Not only that, you can also find effective over the counter (“OTC”) medicine, household products, food, etc.
If you are budget conscious, be sure to shop around because the prices vary from drugstore to drugstore. Moreover, for the same drugstore, you tend to get the products cheaper in less tourist infested locations. The range of products may be narrow or wide, depending on the size of the shop.
List of Drugstores in Japan
Matsumoto Kiyoshi (マツモトキヨシ)
Matsumoto Kiyoshi is a popular drugstore chain across Japan. It also has a chain of shops that has a big signboard with the word “薬”. This kanji means medicine, and in this store, you will find limited beauty product range as the store is more like a pharmaceutical outlet.
www.matsukiyo.co.jp/map (you have to google translate the page)
Don Quijote (ドン・キホーテ)
Other than Matsumoto Kiyoshi, you can easily find a Don Quijote around Japan. Just look out for the blue penguin (photo above). Locally known as “Donki”, this is where you should check out for an even more affordable pricing. Do note that some outlets do not stock medicine.
If you are easily overwhelmed with the sheer amount of goods and people, then you probably should try an online service Don Quijote provides. Pre-order what you want and collect them at any Don Quijote store. Save your time looking for the products and have more time for the rest of Japan!
There are many more others that specialised in drugs (i.e. OTC medicine and pharmaceutical products):
- Tsuruha Drugstore
- Cocokara Fine with numerous shop fronts – Seijo, Segami, Zip Drug, Lifort, Suzuran Pharmacy, and Kodama.
- SunDrug is another large chain across Japan, albeit only two or three stores in several regions. You can find it more easily in the Kanto, Aichi, and Fukuoka areas.
I did buy quite a bit of products from the drugstores. I shall give you my reviews in my subsequent posts.
- Over the counter medicine: OTC Medicine in Japan’s Drugstores (Part 2)
- Facial products: Beauty Products in Japan’s Drugstores – Facial Care (Part 3A)
- Make up products: Make Up Products in Japan’s Drugstores (Part 3B)
- Hair and body products: Beauty Products to buy in Japan’s Drugstores – Hair and Body (Part 4)
So what are you planning to buy at the drugstores in Japan? :) Tell us below or on our Facebook Page or Instagram. Moreover, bookmark this page > Overview Itinerary: Hokkaido and Tokyo (Winter/Spring 2016).