Margaret River (No.2)
Australia (Perth & Melbourne) Itinerary Overview (2013). p.s. Read Part 1 of our trip at Margaret River!
▲ Photo Journal | ▲ Margaret River (South Perth)
nature, wineries, estates, art
☁ ☁ ☁
2nd Day at Margaret River.
Scroll through Day 1 for more photos of this place’s beauty.
Margaret River Discovery Tour
It’s our first time to Margaret River, so we decided to do a discovery tour with
Margaret River Discovery Co. (margaretriverdiscovery.com.au). Their tagline: Tour for people who don’t do tours.
Some review before the photos ☞
✓ The Good
We did things which we wouldn’t or couldn’t have done without the tour!
- 4WD adventure in a land rover.
- Canoe in a small part of tranquil Margaret River. Perfect weather, light drizzle, hence not too cold or warm for a ride.
- Had coffee and tea (for ‘free’) takeaway from a cafe, whilst having toilet break.
- Sat by the river / rapids to taste the different types of honey and hear our tour guide, Sean Blocksidge, explained how the Aborigines had settled in that area many years ago.
- Visited Fraser Gallop, one of the up and coming wineries. Though people do winery-hop in Margaret River, this winery is not open to public. At least when we went there in October 2013. Award winning wine at affordable rates. And I tasted and bought the white wine though I am not a big fan of white! Had our wine, cheese, bread, meat, greens lunch at the winery.
- Walked a small part of the cape to cape trail. Sean even ‘extended’ the tour for us. We went a little further down the trek than usual because he spotted some whales near the shore. So he brought us to a better spot to sight them. Not so near to see their bodies, but spouts of water. And you can see them coming nearing us. He was zooming and taking pictures, and said it’s weird that they came so near to shore. It’s a rare sight. He said, it could be that sharks were chasing after them.
✘ The Not-So-Good
- Overall it’s a not bad tour. But as Sean mentioned in the beginning of the tour, how fun or good the tour is will depend on the group participation. And in my group of 6 (incl. us), the other 4 are Aussies and New Zealanders. Hence they got comfortable with one another with their ‘inside jokes’ and accents. So after a while, I just switched off and not participate because I couldn’t catch up and understand.
- The tour was not up to my expectations. Perhaps I had too high expectations due to its 5 stars rating on tripadvisor. It ended about 3+pm? So it’s shorter than expected (difference in the idea of a ‘full day’ – SG&AU). Coupled with the exchange rate of S$ to A$ and our budget, I think the tour was not really worth the price paid.
Tour Activities ☞
HONEY TASTING BY THE FALLS
FRASER GALLOP (winery)
W h a l e s, W i l d f l o w e r s n’ W a t e r
– 4WD –
– cape to cape trail –
#nofilter, heaven’s picture perfect.
☁ ☁ ☁
Wine, Chocolate, Nougat
We didn’t have much time to go around the estates, so did a quick visit to the 2 must-go wineries in Margaret River – Voyager and Leeuwin estates.
Voyager Estate for its architecture, garden and afternoon tea scones.
For Leeuwin estate, because even Cape Leeuwin lighthouse is named after his name.
super yummy nougat!
love the space!
Travels During October 2013
Disclaimer: All data and information provided on this site is for informational purposes only. Travel.joogo.sg and/or the author shall not be held responsible for any injury, loss, expense or damage of any kind whatsoever suffered or incurred by any person who accesses or uses the information and external websites stated above. Full disclaimer here.